CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
We are looking for a highly qualified Construction Engineer to join the CNSF team in Mosul, Iraq.
While the CNSF office is based in Erbil, Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KRI), projects are implemented in Mosul and other areas within Iraq. This position will be primarily based in Mosul.
The Critical Needs Support Foundation (CNSF) was founded in August 2014 in response to the needs of the Yazidi community on Sinjar Mountain. Since then, CNSF has been responding to the diverse needs of displaced populations within Iraq. Our interventions range from providing emergency aid, to undertaking large-scale projects in the sectors of WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) and shelter. We work with local communities and other humanitarian actors to design and implement context-specific programming. Our mission is simple: provide critical support and deliver hope.
About the Position
CNSF is partnering with the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) to rehabilitate 125 homes that have incurred major damage in West Mosul. The Construction Engineer undertakes technical assessments of homes in the areas of intervention and supports the beneficiary selection process. The Construction Engineer is responsible for strategic, technical and operational oversight of contractors and monitoring of construction activities on site. He/She will report directly to the Project Manager and liaise with NRC partners to ensure timely and quality reporting and documentation of project activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
· As the head of the technical assessment team, assess damage levels and cost of rehabilitation using NRC assessment tools and procedures
· Conduct beneficiary identification and vulnerability assessments according to the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for medium scale upgrades
· Ensure that assessments are being undertaken in an ethical manner and with the participation of beneficiaries and land owners, ensuring that these procedures are respecting the Housing, Land, and Property (HLP) rights of those involved
· Develop the Bill of Quantities (BOQs), and other bidding documents for NRC procurement, and respond to questions related to assessments, technical procedures and BOQs where necessary
· Check and verify that all procured equipment meets the required standards and specifications, ensuring that materials received at construction sites are checked against damages and missing parts
· Oversee the rehabilitation of construction works on each site and ensure the quality and timeliness of execution
· Ensure that contractors are following safety protocols and clearing and cleaning sites regularly and after completion of rehabilitation works
Monitoring and Reporting:
· Monitor day-to-day progress of project activities and promptly report any abnormalities or risks to the Project Manager
· Check targets against progress on a weekly basis and report findings to the Project Manager
· In case of changes to BOQ items or quantities, prepare memo describing changes and reasons, and send for approval to the Project Manager and NRC partners
· Finalize rehabilitation works by checking results against original BOQs, and assist Project Manager in completing required finalization documents
· Maintain positive relationships with contractors and contribute to the professional development of the Assistant Engineer
· Contribute to creating a work environment that encourages collaboration and growth
Qualifications and Experience
To be successful in this role, you must have:
· Advanced degree in Civil Engineering or related field (Bachelor’s degree with substantial engineering experience may be accepted)
· Minimum 5 years’ experience of demonstrable construction experience in civil or structural engineering
· Experience leading large construction teams
· Experience in preparation for BOQs and estimating costs of rehabilitation works
· Experience in handling tender documents and drafting progress reports
· Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic
· Prior experience working with NGOs or international organizations an asset
We are also looking for:
· Excellent interpersonal skills, a team-oriented work style, and experience in working in a multicultural environment
· Ownership, initiative, and demonstrated ability to organize work and time independently
· Detail-oriented and desire to learn and undertake problem-solving
· Clear and effective communication skills and willingness to accept feedback
The successful applicant will be offered a 5-month contract. Candidate must be available to start work immediately and be ideally based in Mosul, Iraq.
How to Apply
Applicants must send a cover letter and updated CV (no longer than four pages), both in English, to firstname.lastname@example.org . CV only applications will not be considered. Applications close on 1 December 2017.